Top 10 Healthy Food Trends in 2016
From old „world-ingredients“ to new superfoods I’ve pinpointed 10 top Food Trends, based on research and monitoring with Brandwatch. Ready for Birch water, salty popcorn and banana flour?
Since I’m writing my master thesis about “Social Media and Food trends” I started to sympathize with the food trends expected in 2016. Normally I’m more the “back to the roots” person and not really impressed by all these trends which are often turning up to be just some marketing tricks. But the plant-based diet is set to go mainstream which makes me really excited. After I spent a lot of time on reading and researching about the worldwide food trends I’d like to show you my favourites:
- Since we are getting more and more aware of religion and the environment, the so-called Spiritual Food is shown as a new important food trend. Besides health facts, the role of spiritual aspects is getting really significant. Examples are halal, vegan, gluten free or kosher.
- Infinite Food means eating anytime and anywhere. It’s getting more and more important that we can eat independently from time and place. Consumers are open to innovations.
- Fast Good instead of Fast Food. We still want to eat fast but healthy and sustainable. Hence, we are looking for a good quality which we can find in meals inspired by the Arabian, Hispanic and Asian kitchen.
- Turmeric is being touted as the ’new‘ super spice of 2016. Turmeric is an ancient root used as a spice and medicine because for its healing properties for centuries. Also, it’s not only good for the health, but also for a natural whitening of our teeth. Due to its anti-inflammatory effects, Turmeric is known to help against acne and other skin blemishes and it’s even attributing to a protection against Alzheimer’s disease and preventing cancer.
- Seaweed seems to be the new kale. It’s healthy, environmentally friendly, sustainable and a nourishing plant containing fibre, iodine, vitamin c, iron and b vitamins. And the most important fact, it is soo yummy.
- Birch water is predicted to be the new coconut water. Birch water is not new, it’s more a “back to the roots“ food trend. It’s been already a traditional beverage e.g. in Russia and Poland. The product naturally comes direct from birch trees and is containing a list of health benefits like flushing out toxins and is eliminating cellulite.
- Hip Flour: The story about gluten-free alternative flours continues. There are still more opportunities for producing novel flour :). Did you already hear about the new food trend banana flour? I did get so excited about reading that this flour can be perfectly used for baking and smoothies. I haven’t tried it yet but I can’t wait for.
- Purple is the new green. Well, I still love greens, but there is one great berry which I love just as greens. The little super berry: Açaí. Yes, it’s again a superfood, but already the colour makes me happy. There are so many reasons to love that small purple power fruit “Açaí” from the Amazon. The most important one is that Açaí berries are super rich in antioxidants.
- Avocado Oil: Avocado was already the berry of 2015 (yes it’s a berry) and now they are also revealed as the most pinned food. Instead of just eating it on toasts or layering slivers on salads, avocado oil and avocado mayonnaise are highly recommended. We all know that the fats in avocados are good for us and that there are more than enough reasons to eat it daily. I guess I’ll stay loyal to my traditional use :).
- Salty Popcorn is a great snack with fewer calories. The healthy food trend was set in Hollywood because it’s a great alternative to chips. Popcorn will also pop up on top of salads or soups and as an ice-flavour in the summertime.
Hope you enjoyed this blog on Top 10 Healthy Food Trends in 2016
This Blogpost contains affiliate links, which means that I earn a small commission if you purchase a product through this Link. The price for you will stay the same as anywhere else. Thank you for helping me finance my blog. I am really grateful for your support!